Residents frequently ask the Parish Council about various planning enforcement, highways, footpaths or nuisance issues and how best to deal with them.

Below are the links to the various authorities web pages where you are able to report issues yourself.  We would encourage you to do this to ensure that any problems are dealt with promptly.

If there is anything else that you wish to report and cannot see it listed below, please email the Clerk who can advise you further ([email protected])

The Hampshire County Council website is full of useful information, and most issues can be reported here:

If you cannot find what you are looking for in the link above, below are links to the web pages regarding the problems most commonly reported to us:

Planning Enforcement Issues

EHDC investigate complaints about breaches of planning control in East Hampshire, including in Steep. You can report any potential breaches using the link below. Please note that they will not investigate anonymous complaints. The details of a complaint will become public but the identity of a complainant or informant is always treated as confidential.

Whilst the Parish Council will report breaches when we are notified about them, we understand that it is more likely that a complaint will be investigated when a number of residents have raised the same issue. The Parish Council is unable to investigate or act on any information received about planning enforcement issues, and will only report them to EHDC.

Report all potential breaches using this link:

Problems on roads, pavements, and verges including potholes

Urgent Highways problems

For urgent Highways problems, such as a tree blocking the road:

Phone 0300 555 1388 (8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday)

Outside of office hours, phone 101

Report a problem on a right of way

Hampshire County Council manage rights of way shown on the definitive map, but do not deal with problems on pavements, footways, roads or cycleways, fly-tipping or abandoned vehicles.

Please visit the Hampshire website for more information:

Report a flooding or drainage problem

Flooding can be caused by the sheer volume of water or indicate a blockage or maintenance problem with the system. Any flooding or drainage issue should be reported so that it can be dealt with and the system checked for adequacy.

If you believe the flooding is from a river, please contact the Environment Agency:

Report a tree or hedge problem

Trees close to roads need to be managed to ensure they don’t cause a danger to people, vehicles or neighbouring properties. Hampshire County Council manage trees growing on highway land.

They do not manage trees on private property and roads and landowners are responsible for these trees. You can report this to the Parish Council using the contact form here.

If you spot a problem please report it here:

If trees are not the responsibility of Hampshire Highways they still may be able to give notice to the owner or occupier of the land to take the necessary action.

However, you can also report this to the Parish Council using the form here.

Grass cutting and weed killing

Grass cutting and weed control on road verges is undertaken by Hampshire County Council in rural areas and local councils in urban areas to ensure the maintenance of sight lines at bends, junctions and signs, as well as the general appearance of the area. To find out more, or report a problem, use this link:

Reporting nuisance bonfires

Under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, if a bonfire is a regular problem and interferes substantially with wellbeing, comfort or enjoyment of your property it may be considered a statutory nuisance.

One  off fires that are very large, produce excessive amounts of smoke and left to burn for long periods may also be considered a statutory nuisance if they significantly impact neighbours.

Please report any issues here:

Report fly tipping

You can report fly tipping through your MyEHDC account on the East Hants District Council website. If the fly tip is blocking the road, please contact Hampshire County Council. If you see the offence being committed, please phone the police on 101.

Fly-tips can contain dangerous and hazardous materials, for your own safety, please do not touch any tip you find and report it to East Hants District Council as soon as possible:

For any other problems, or to inform the Parish Council of a problem, please use the contact page